Thursday 11 April 2013

Slow Cooker Navy Beans with Ham

Slow Cooker Navy Beans with Ham

Once in a while even the most seasoned cook needs a break and finds ways to make the cooking process easier and faster. The other day I wanted to make Fasolada, a traditional Greek Navy Bean soup but I didn't have time to make it the traditional way. I asked around if I could make this dish in a slow cooker but whom ever I asked had misgivings. When all else fails I go to my favourite source for inspiration - The Internet. Luckily, I found a recipe to cook navy beans in a slow cooker. I took the concept from the recipe I found and made it my own. 

1 1/2 cups dried navy beans
5 cups of water
1 cup of tomato juice
1 onion, diced
200 g smoked ham, diced
salt
pepper
1 tbsp mint
1 tsp cumin
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp garlic powder
2 tbsp olive oil

1. Soak the navy beans in a bowl of water overnight.

2. Early in the morning, boil the beans in 5 cups of water.

3. Meanwhile, in the slow cooker add the ham, onion, tomato juice and seasoning.

4. Once the navy beans have boiled for 30 minutes, add the beans with the water to the slow cooker. 

5. Stir everything together and set the slow cooker to 10 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment