Saturday 2 November 2013

Homestyle Gyros

The other day I was craving Gyros from my favourite Gyro place on the Danforth, Messinis but I wasn't able to make it down there. Since I wasn't able to enjoy a gyros from Messinis I decided to make my own version of the popular Greek pita sandwich. Although, I don't have a gyro cooker the seasonings I used to flavour the pork tenderloin hit the spot. Of course, my homemade tzatziki, sliced tomato and red onion completed the sandwich.

9 pork tenderloin chops, sliced thin
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp minced garlic
juice of 1 lemon
salt
pepper
1 pack of Greek Pita
tzatziki
sliced tomato
sliced red onion

1. Place sliced pork tenderloin in a medium and marinade with the lemon juice, cumin, oregano, paprika, salt and pepper. Marinade overnight or for a few hours before cooking. This will ensure that your meat will be tender.

2. Stir fry the pork pieces until cooked through and browned nicely.

3. Serve on a heated pita. Spread some tzatziki on the pita first, then place a few pieces of the pork gyro and lastly garnish with the sliced tomatoes and red onion.

4. You can pair this home style gyro sandwich with your favourite fries or as I did, Roasted Garlic Potatoes.


Roasted Garlic Potatoes

4 large yellow potatoes, wedges
olive oil
1 tsp minced garlic
salt
pepper
oregano

1. Preheat the oven to 450F.

2. Season the potatoes wedges with the olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper and oregano. 

3. Place on a lined baking sheet and roast for 45 minutes.

4. After 45 minutes reduce the heat to 425F and continue to roast for another 15 minutes so that the potatoes crisp up.

No comments:

Post a Comment