Thursday 13 February 2014

Yuca Frita



Yuca Frita or Yuca Chips are an excellent alternative to the Canadian favourite Potato Chips. Also known as cassava in other parts of the world, yuca is a staple in many South American homes. Although, this tuberous vegetable is a good source of carbohydrates it is not high in protein. A couple of weeks ago, as I was preparing for a Peruvian dinner I decided to add yuca chips to my menu. The main dish that I was serving that evening was Carapulcra. A traditional pork dish that is usually served over rice and potatoes. Since dehydrated potatoes in one of the main ingredients in the Carapulcra, I wanted to have a change of textures and flavours. I'm glad that I decided to experiment with this ancient root tuber because my Yuca frita were crispy on the outside and soft on the inside. According to my husband, that is the perfect way to eat yuca chips.

1. Peel and boil as many yucas as you want. Bring the water to a fast boil for 20 minutes.

2. Remove the yuca from the boiling water and let them cool to room temperature.

3. Then cut them into 1/2 inch or thinner discs.

4. Deep fry making sure your oil is at 350F. Fry until the yuca float to the top.

5. Spoon out the fried yuca and place in a pan lined with paper towel to soak up any excess oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

* I served them with a Black Mint Sauce called Ocopa.

No comments:

Post a Comment