Saturday 8 June 2013

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Slow Cooker Beef Stew

Sometimes you get those gifts that when you first receive them you think, "What am I going to do with that?" It is not after trying to use the item that the question is clearly answered. Several Christmases ago, my sister gave me a Slow Cooker. As I am always grateful for all my presents, I wasn't too sure how to use it. The size alone was intimidating. Now, after using my beloved Slow Cooker several times I understand why many busy women swear by this ingenious cooking appliance. The past week has been very busy and I didn't have time to cook dinner every night. After looking into my fridge and freezer I remembered that I had bought stewing beef, potatoes and frozen peas/carrots. Perfect ingredients for a hearty stew. Since I was tight for time I took out my Slow Cooker and put it to work. At 6 a.m. I assembled all the ingredients into the Slow Cooker and when we got home we had a delicious and hot meal. As I took the first bite I thanked my sister for her gift. I am grateful.

2 lbs stewing beef
5 yellow potatoes, diced
2 cups frozen peas and carrots
2 ripe tomatoes, diced
1 cup boiled water
1 cube chicken stock
3 bay leaves
salt
pepper
1 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp thyme
1/4 tsp cinnamon

1. Place the stewing beef on the bottom of the slow cooker.

2. Followed by the potatoes. Then the peas and carrots and tomatoes.

3. Add the seasonings. Meanwhile dissolve the chicken stock in the boiled water. Pour into the slow cooker.

4. Stir altogether and set the timer at the desired setting. I left it for 10 hours and the beef was tender, well cooked and delicious.

5. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment