Friday 9 November 2012

Lomos Saltado

I was introduced to the dish when Rafael took me to El Plebeyo on Bathurst and St.Clair. It was the first time I had eaten at a Peruvian Restaurant and I will never forget the flavourful meal. Since then I have made Lomos Saltado once before and my Mother-in-Law made it too when she was visiting us in the summer. Tomorrow, I am hosting the next "The Swap" Book Club meeting at the condo. I have rented the Lounge Room and I am providing lunch for all our book club members - A la Peruana. Lomos Saltado is going to be our main dish.




LOMOS SALTADO

2 flank steaks, cut into thin strips
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp garlic powder
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 yellow, orange and red pepper, thinly sliced
1 red onion, thinly sliced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, thinly chopped
3 to 4 field tomato, quartered
1/2 cup red vinegar
1/2 cup soya sauce
cilantro paste or fresh cilantro
salt
pepper
6 yellow potatoes, cut into strips
1 cup basalt rice
2 cups water

1. Marinade the steak strips in the soy sauce, garlic powder and cumin for a day. This is to tenderise the meat naturally.

2. Marinade the peppers, onions and tomatoes in the vinegar, soy sauce and cilantro while you are stir frying the steak.

2. In a large wok, stir fry the steak strips. Once they are cooked through remove and set aside in a bowl.

3. Stir fry the veggies until nearly softened. Add the steak back into the wok covering the veggies.

4. Meanwhile put the basmati rice in a rice cooker and fry the potatoes.

5. Once the liquid from the saltado has almost evaporated add the fried potatoes and mix gently. Make sure not to break the potatoes. There should be some sauce at the bottom of the wok.

6. Serve on a bed of basmati rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment