Sunday 18 August 2013

Cau Cau con Pollo

Cau Cau con Pollo

The first time I was introduced to this dish was when my mother-in-law was visiting last summer. Cau Cau is a Peruvian stew made with chicken, potatoes and other root vegetables. What makes this stew unique is Aji Amarillo that gives it an exotic flavour base. Since acquiring a Peruvian cookbook from my father-in-law, I became more interested in the wide variety of Peruvian dishes. The recipe for Cau Cau is in the cookbook, however traditionally the recipe calls for cow innards and since I don't eat organ meats my suegra showed me how to make it with chicken instead. I have made this classic Peruvian meal several times already and experimented using different cooking methods. Once I made it in a slow cooker. The taste was good but not as good as when I made it today in a stock pot. 

2 chicken breasts, cubed
4 potatoes, cubed
2 celery stalks, diced
3 carrots, diced
1 onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic, diced
3 bay leaves
1 tbsp aji amarillo
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/2 tbsp oregano
salt
pepper
1 chicken stock cube
4 cups water, boiled
2 cups water
1/2 cup of frozen peas

1. Brown the chicken pieces in a large stock pot until browned on all sides. Set aside in a bowl.

2. In the same pot saute the onion, celery, carrots and garlic for 5 to 7 minutes.

3. Add the seasonings and potatoes. Stir together with the other vegetables and cover with 2 cups of water.

4. Meanwhile, in a large measuring cups dissolve the chicken stock cube in 4 cups of boiled water. Once dissolved well, pour into the pot. Add the chicken and bay leaves. Continue to simmer for 30 minutes.

5. In the last 10 minutes of the cooking process add the frozen peas.







No comments:

Post a Comment