Thursday 8 August 2013

Peach Blueberry Crisp

Peach Blueberry Crisp

Every now and then I venture into making desserts. As you will see from my blog, the majority of my recipes are of savoury dishes. Perhaps my New Year's Resolution for 2014 should be to expand my cooking repertoire to baking. Anywho, yesterday I was inspired to create this simple yet satisfying dessert with some peaches and blueberries that were on a deep freeze in the fridge. A few days ago, I had put a basket of local peaches in the fridge because they had ripened and I was afraid that they would go bad if I left them on the counter. When I took out one of the peaches to cut for my son, I discovered that the peach was frozen. To my dismay, all but three peaches were frozen. Instead of throwing away this delicious peaches, I allowed them to defrost and prepared them into a seasonal crisp. My parents had gone Blueberry picking on the weekend, but the blueberries were a bit to tart for me to eat straight out of the basket, so I incorporated the tart blueberries with the peaches to create this satisfying dessert.

6 to 8 peaches, peeled and quartered
2 cups blueberries
1/4 cup sugar

1 cup oat bran
1 cup chopped walnuts
3/4 cup sugar
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter or margarine

1. Place the peeled and quartered peaches in the rectangular Pyrex baking dish along with the blueberries.

2. Sprinkle with the sugar and mix the fruit together.

3. In a separate mixing bowl prepare the crisp topping. Mix together the oat bran, walnuts, sugar and cinnamon.

4. In a small pot melt the butter. Cover the fruit with the oat bran mixture and pour the melted butter over the oat bran topping.

5. Bake for 30 minutes at 375F.  

6. Serve with ice cream or whipping cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment