Thursday 16 May 2013

Fasolakia me Kota - Braised Chicken with Green Beans

Fasolakia me Kota - Braised Chicken with Green Beans

Good Morning Readers! Sorry it has taken me a few days to post a new recipe but my life has been busy with other ventures. Now that I have more time, I can contribute more to my blog. Today's recipe is a classic Greek summer dish - Fasolakia me Kota - Braised Chicken with Green Beans. The beauty of traditional Greek cooking is that the dishes created my fore mothers are seasonal. Unlike in Canada where we have a wide selection of produce all year round, in Greece vegetables and fruit are sold and bought seasonally. Usually this dish is prepared in a large sauce pan but I decided to try in my favourite roasting pan and the results were perfect. The green beans were not too mushy and the chicken was tender and flavourful.

6 chicken thighs
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp cumin
1/4 tbsp cinnamon
salt
pepper
olive oil
3 to 4 bay leaves
1/4 cup boiled water
2 lbs of green beans
1 large onion, diced
3 to 4 garlic cloves, diced
2 cups tomato pulp or juice

1. Preheat oven to 425F.

2. In a large mixing bowl combine the olive oil with the seasonings and marinate the chicken thighs until the oven reaches its temperature.

3. Meanwhile, wash and cut the end off the green beans and any strings that peel off the green beans.

4. Place the marinated chicken thighs in a roasting pan along with the marinade. Pour in the water at the bottom of the pan and throw in the bay leaves. Roast for 20 minutes.

5. When the 20 minutes are up, remove the chicken thighs from the pan. Add the green beans, onion, garlic and tomato pulp in the pan. Lightly toss together with the chicken juices. Replace the chicken thighs on top of the green beans. Continue cooking for another 40 minutes.

6. At the end of the 40 minutes remove the lid from the roasting pan and continue to cook for another 15 minutes. This will help to evaporate some of the excess juices. You don't want a soupy consistency just some flavourful juice you can dunk bread into later.


No comments:

Post a Comment