Saturday 7 December 2013

Oaxaca Chocolate

Every now and then I am blessed with receiving an incredible delicious and unique ingredient or food item. When I first met my husband he introduced me to Aji Amarillo. Several months ago my Mom shared Skotidakis Jalapeno Yogurt Dip. Just a few days ago, while cooking with my new friend Mary Luz Mejia she gave me a box of Oaxaca Chocolate. Aside from loving anything chocolate I accepted willingly this delicious gift because it came from a special place Oaxaca, Mexico and the story Mary told me brought me back to my Mom's home town of Veroia. Upon presenting this gift to me, Mary told me the story that in this town there is a shop that grinds your own concoction of chocolate. Not one box of chocolate is ever the same for each family that uses these services. You might want dark chocolate combined with toasted almonds and cinnamon, while your cousin might prefer milk chocolate with vanilla and cinnamon. As Mary was telling me this story I remembered a coffee shop in Veroia that did the same thing with the Greek coffee. It's amazing that Oaxaca, Mexico and Veroia, Greece are oceans apart but they have this one amazing service to their customers in common. Muchas Gracias Mary! We have been enjoying each cup as if we were in Oaxaca ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment