Friday 19 July 2013

Causa Con Huacaina

Causa con Haucaina

The first time I was introduced to Causa was in Christmas 2009. That was the first Christmas I was with my husband Rafael. We had been invited to their family's big Christmas celebration. At that time Rafael and I were at the beginning of our relationship and I was unfamiliar with most of the Peruvian foods. The only Peruvian dish I was exposed to was Aji De Gallina because Rafael had made it for me one night. Since I enjoyed Aji de Gallina, I felt confident that I would enjoy most in not all the dishes in this eclectic cuisine of Peru. Causa is one of those dishes that are perfect for a hot summer's eve. Although, the prep time is a bit time consuming the result is worth the work. Plus you can make a big pan of Causa and keep it for leftovers. I paired it with my Huacaina Sauce and Salsa Criolla.

8 large yellow potatoes
1 tbsp butter/margarine
salt
pepper
1/2 cup milk
3 cans of flake tuna
2 tbsp mayonnaise
juice of 1 lemon
salt
pepper
1 tbsp of minced garlic
3 avocados
4 eggs

Huacaina Sauce

Salsa Criolla

1. First put the potatoes and eggs to boil. Boil the potatoes for about 40 minutes or until they are tender. Boil the eggs for 10 minutes. Set eggs aside to be peeled and sliced.

2. Meanwhile, prepare the other ingredients. Place drained tuna in a mixing bowl along with the mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir together and set aside.

3. Slice the avocados and eggs into thin slices. I use a egg slicer to slice the eggs because I like to have uniform egg slices.

4. Last prepare the mash potato. After allowing the potatoes to cool down, peel and mash along with the butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mash until smooth.

5. Now, it is time to assemble. In a large Pyrex of baking dish, place your first layer of mash potato (split the mash potato into two helpings). Next, add all of the tuna mixture. Then, add the egg slices followed by the avocado. For the layer of egg and avocado season as you go with salt and pepper. Lastly, add the second helping of mash potato. Make sure that each layer is smoothly packed.

6. Cover with foil or plastic and place it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.

7. When you are ready to plate the Causa have the Huacaina on hand along with a Salsa Criolla. These two dishes are perfect compliments to the Causa.

No comments:

Post a Comment