Saturday 13 July 2013

Huacaina - Peruvian Spicy Feta Sauce

Huacaina - Peruvian Spicy Feta Sauce

My journey with Peruvian food started when I moved in with my husband in 2009. Before meeting Rafael the only Latino food I was exposed to was Mexican and the odd Cuban dish. To be completely honest I was ignorant to the culture of Peru, especially their food. I have heard of Macchu Picchu and I knew that Peru was famous for their llama wool products but that was the extent to my knowledge of anything Peruvian. Now, fours years later I feel more confident when I say that I know more about Peruvian culture. By embracing the eclectic cuisine of my husband's homeland I feel closer to Rafael and his family. Although, yo hablo espanol un pocito, at least we can share a meal together that I have learnt to make and enjoy making every chance I get. Some dishes are time consuming and need much planning. Other dishes ask for hard-to-find ingredients, like Papa Seco, which dehydrated potato flakes. This latest recipe on my Peruvian repertoire is still to make and delicious with boiled potatoes, over Causa or as a compliment to some of my Empanada varieties such as Lomo Saltado or Chorizo.

200 g feta
2 cups milk
20 unsalted soda crackers
2 tbsp aji de amarillo
1 tbsp turmeric
1 tbsp minced garlic
salt
olive oil.

Place all the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Keep refrigerated until you are ready to serve this velvety concoction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment