Saturday 21 September 2013

Salmon and Spinach Penne Casserole

Salmon and Spinach Penne Casserole

This particular dish takes me back to my visit to Bielfeld, Germany in 2005. While vacationing in Greece that same summer and attending my cousin's wedding, I decided to take advantage of the close distances of neighbouring European countries. I had contacted my friends Timo and Liane to ask them if they were going to be around in the summer and after planning the perfect dates for my visit, I booked a flight to Dusseldorf, Germany where Timo met me to whisked me away to the town of Bielfeld. During my one week visit, Liane had invited us to her apartment for lunch. On the menu was this delicious pasta casserole originating from Sweden. Salmon and Spinach Casserole. The combination of the meaty Salmon and the tender sauteed spinach goes very well together with a mixture of cheeses and pasta. One of my all time favourites. Not only do I enjoy this dish every time I make it but I am also reminded of the happy times I spend with my friends, Timo and Liane. 

3 cans of skinless and boneless salmon
1 bunch of spinach
1 bunch of green onions
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 package of penne pasta
1 cup milk
4 tbsp Parmesan cheese
juice of 1 lemon
125 g mozzarella cheese, grated
salt
pepper
1 tsp sage
1 tsp thyme
1/2 tbsp mint
1 cup Italian bread crumbs

1. Boil the penne for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain and reserve 1 cup of pasta water.

2. Saute the green onions and spinach until tender. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.

3. In a deep casserole dish or dutch oven spoon in the salmon and pour 1/2 of the lemon juice. Break the salmon into pieces. Season with salt and pepper.

4. Meanwhile, make the sauce. In a small mixing bowl combine the milk, 1/2 of the lemon juice, 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese, sage, thyme and mint.

5. Once the pasta is finished cooking add the pasta to the casserole dish. Then add the sauteed spinach. Mix salmon, pasta and spinach together. Add pasta water.

6. Last, pour on the sauce and combine well. Sprinkle on 2 tbsp of the Parmesan cheese and bread crumbs.

7. Bake in a 425F preheated oven for 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment