Thursday 5 September 2013

Chorizo Succatash

Chorizo Succotash

As this is the second week of our new meal plan, I am finding that not only is it helping me to stay on track of my post-preggo diet but it's helping to twiddle down my grocery bill. I only buy what I need for the week and use up all the groceries in my fridge and pantry. For Tuesday's dinner I made a Chorizo Succotash since my Mom had brought me a tray of corn which was not on my grocery list but I felt bad not using it. With half of the amount of chorizos from the value pack tray, I made this simple and tasty dish and the other half I'm going to cook up for my Chorizo Empanada filling. Economising is the name of the game in today's economy when you are cooking for a family.

6 mild chorizo links
4 corn cobs
canola oil
1 cup of pre-cooked rice
1 large red onion, sliced
1 tbsp minced garlic
1/2 tbsp oregano
1/2 tbsp cumin
salt
pepper
soy sauce
1/2 bunch of cilantro, chopped

1. Preheat oven to 450F. Brown the chorizo in the preheated oven for 30 minutes. This will make slicing the chorizo easier.

2. Boil the corn for 30 to 40 minutes.

3. Allow the chorizo and corn to cool down for a few minutes before slicing into bit size pieces.

4. To cut the kernels from the cob, place the wide end of the corn cob on a cutting board and run your knife along thte middle of the cob and the kernels. Place kernels in a bowl.

5. In a wok or deep fry pan saute the chorizo pieces until brown on both sides.

6. Push the chorizo to the side and the sliced red onions. Saute for 2 to 3 minutes then add the garlic. Mix together with the chorizo.

7. Season with the oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. 

8. Add the pre-cooked rice and corn to the wok. Pour in te soy sauce and saute together for a few minutes until the rice heats through.

9. In the last couple of minutes of cooking thrown in the cilantro.


No comments:

Post a Comment