Wednesday 18 September 2013

Patates Bloom

Patates Bloom

Potatoes. Everyone loves potatoes. Although the conquering of the Americas by Spain in the 1500s resulted in the destruction several hundreds types of potatoes in Peru, thankfully some of the species brought back to Europe survived and today we can enjoy them in a variety of different ways. My Dad loves his potatoes. Mash them. Boil them. Fry them. Roast them. My Dad will eat them. By far his favourite potato dish come from his hometown Kozani. This dish has a funny name. Patates Bloom because the potatoes swim in a zesty tomato sauce. Growing up Patates Bloom was served regularly with many meat dishes from Keftedes to Kotopoulos Psito. Often my Mom made this dish during Easter lent because the potatoes were filling. Now that I have my own family, I have introduced this dish to my husband Rafael who loves his potatoes as much as my Dad if not more since he is Peruvian. Not only is this side dish hearty but super simple to make.

1/2 bag mini yellow potatoes
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp garlic
2 cups tomato pulp
salt
pepper
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp mint
1 cube chicken / vegetable stock
4 cups water
olive oil



1. In a medium stock pot heat a good helping of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic. Slowly add the seasonings: salt, pepper, paprika and mint.

2. Once the onion is softened add the potatoes. Mix together and pour in the tomato pulp and water. Add the chicken stock.

3. Bring to a boil and then simmer for 30 to 40 minutes or until potatoes are cooked through.

No comments:

Post a Comment