Sunday 1 September 2013

Spanakorizo me Kritharaki - Spinach with Orzo

Spanakorizo me Kritharaki - Spinach with Orzo

Spanakorizo is a traditional Greek vegetarian dish popular during Lent because the spinach is a good source of iron and the rice makes a hearty dinner option when you don't have meat in your bowl. Usually Spanakorizo is made with rice, however in different regions of Greece other grains have been used as well such as Bulgar wheat, barley or kritharaki (orzo pasta). Last week was the first week that I started cooking differently for the family mostly because I've put myself on a post pregnancy diet and partly because I want to introduce more vegetarian based meals into our eating schedule for all around better health. Thus our eating schedule is as follows; Monday, Wednesday and Friday I make vegetarian dishes and Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday I make something with meat. Saturdays is our leftover day. The dish that I am sharing with you today is from our Wednesday night dinner.

1 bunch of baby spinach, chopped
1 bunch of green onions, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
salt
pepper
1/2 tbsp mint
2 cups of tomato pulp
2 cups of chicken stock (vegetable stock)
1/4 cup orzo pasta

1. In a medium size stock pot saute the green onion for 2 to 3 minutes.

2. Add the spinach and cover to allow the spinach to wilt.

3. Stir in the minced garlic, salt, pepper and mint. Saute together for 3 minutes.

4. Stir in the tomato pulp and chicken stock. Bring to a boil. Add the orzo pasta. Cook for 30 minutes on medium/low heat.

5. Serve with crusty bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment